In conclusion...! (or, Quo Vadis?)

"Quo Vadis?" is on quite a few billboards and signs in South Africa. I finally looked it up today. It is Latin for "where are you going?" and it is very fitting for the past two weeks.

I feel like I heard a decent amount of complaining on my trip. Complaints about the hotels, the food, the tour guides, the packed schedule. I found myself often reminding the others that WE ARE IN SOUTH AFRICA. We came here at minimal cost for two weeks of education and sightseeing, and we got that a thousand times over. I am so beyond fortunate to have experienced innumerable once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. Even if I do go back to South Africa, I will likely never experience the same things I did this time.

I climbed mountains. I fended off scammers and pickpockets. I came face to face with elephants. I bargained with street vendors. I met political legends. I sat on cliffs. I met countless inspirational people.  I heard Toto's "Africa" song in every restaurant. I played with children living in shacks. I made friends along the way. I saw Aston Martins and oceanside mansions, and I saw profound poverty and inequality. South Africa is a new and unique place full of so much lingering injustice, yet such beauty and hope. I hope that in the next few decades, this country can reconcile itself and create a more just society for everyone. 

I've gained a perspective that I think few people have, let alone appreciate. I hope I never lose that. I also hope I can create optimism the way I've seen it embodied in the people I've met on this trip. I hope I can live by the philosophy of Ubuntu, and inspire others to do so as well.

If there's one thing I've learned in the past two weeks, it is that we are all the same.  We are all human. We should go out there and be our best selves. So... where are you going?

Until the summer, when I will hopefully go on another adventure!

Peace, love, and Ubuntu. <3

Comments

  1. I loved reading this blog so much, Nicolette. I'm so envious of your trip but so grateful that you were able to have this experience. Love you!
    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Soweto and Pilanesburg (or, Kingdom of the Animals)

Joburg, day 2!

Cape Town day 3: Cape Point