I made it to Israel!!!

Hi everyone! We really hit the ground running and I've finally gotten a few minutes to myself to update you on my adventures. I am so excited to learn about another culture so full of history!

Monday we traveled. We arrived around 10 pm and went to bed. Traveling really takes a lot out of you...  We have been in Kfar Tavor, a secluded little town. 

Tuesday the fun began. We "hiked" at Mount Meron (which was really more of a nice nature walk). It is the second tallest mountain in Israel, if I remember correctly. We could see Lebanon from there. This is where some believe the Messiah will rise from before he goes to Tzfat. 



We then visited Tzfat (the old city part), which is one of Israel's four holy cities, and went to a lovely old synagogue with a 500 year old scroll in it!





Here we learned a little bit about Jewish mysticism, some "urban legends" in Tzfat, and Israel's history. There is an earthquake in Israel every 90 years, by the way. The next one should be in 2017!

We spent the day in an artist gallery in Tzfat. We ate lots of falafel and shawarma and schnitzel. I always thought schnitzel was German, but hey. We did some shopping and got lots of handmade gifts. It reminded me a lot of Greece. 

 

Today we went on a REAL hike. Hike with a capital H. I can't believe what my body is capable of. It was 97 degrees, and we were in the sun. Hat tip to Melissa, who let me borrow her 100 ounce cambelbak, which I drank all of on our two hour hike.  We climbed over rocks, up rocks, down rocks, across streams, balanced on tree trunks and avoided cliff edges. It was insane. 

Our hike was through Golan Heights, which was once a Syrian military base and village before Israel conquered the land in the Six Day War. In it are around 60 dormant volcanoes. We climbed across the top of the mountain, into a valley with a waterfall, and back out again.  It was grueling, but I am so so proud of myself. I feel so strong! (Insert bicep emoji)

People included to show the scale of this place (otherwise it just looks like mediocre hills);










Bats



Waterfall 


That's a line of people way out there!

I can't even describe the sense of accomplishment I felt after this. 





After this we were all banged up. We visited an olive oil press and shop and got olive oil face masks. Yes, mom, I got you some Israeli olive oil!

The owner was there and he told me to "never give in to commercial pressure" and to always do what I believe in. I hadn't even said anything. I'm taking it as a sign. :)



After lunch we went rafting in the Jordan River. It was more like lazy rafting and required minimal effort. It was a lot of fun though. I learned I am not good at paddling as we ended up in the bushes multiple times. Oops!

The last stop of our day was Mount Benton, from where we could see much of Israel, as well as Lebanon and Syria. We could see the border between Israel and Syria, though it was only distinguishable because the green trees of Israel ended and the brown sand of Syria began. We learned a little bit about the political conflicts between these countries. I like our guide as he is fairly neutral and knows a lot of history. 

The view was amazing. The little white specks are buildings!!!








I wish I could show the scale of this view. We could see for hundreds of miles. 

Nature is positively mind-bending. What an amazing place full of so much history and beauty and strife.  And yet all was still while we watched these warring countries from this mountain top. 

Tomorrow we head for Jerusalem! I am so excited to be in such an insanely historical place!!! I wish my pictures could do it justice ...



I can hardly believe how lucky I am to get to experience and learn all these new things. 

Goodnight for now! I will do my best to update you soon :):)








Comments

  1. AMAZING !
    Enjoy each moment !
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! Do you have a chance to do laundry? I feel like your clothes would quickly get all sweaty and gross.

    Rafting, hiking, nature walks...sounds like a cool outdoor adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Soweto and Pilanesburg (or, Kingdom of the Animals)

Joburg, day 2!

Cape Town day 3: Cape Point